Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ending Chapters and New Beginnings

Alright, please bare with me as I express my situation right now. I just needed some place to write it out, and I figure, why not here?

Right now I am feeling very overwhelmed. Between school, and being a wife and mother I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Right now in my life, this is a time that a huge chapter is ending, and a new one is opening for me. This is how I am feeling these days:

With me being on the verge of being finished with school (I'll be done in April), I am excited, anxious, and worried. I am excited because I have been in school for the last 18 years of my life, without any sort of break. I feel like this has been my life! These last two years, my longest break from school has been a month. I also am excited because I am the first person in my family (of all my siblings, parents, and grandparents) to finish and receive a college degree. I am really excited!

I am anxious; despite this semester being the lightest credit load I have ever taken, it is definitely the most difficult for me. Being a mom and wife right now is so time demanding. Hayden is in need of constant attention. I find myself wanting to be able to just play with him all day instead of doing homework. My house is an utter disaster, my fridge and pantry are both completely empty, and I am in sweats most of the day, everyday (YUCK). I almost get no quality time with my hubby, and I am used to spending loads of time with him; it is hard because he is my best friend and I LOVE spending time with him (yes, he stills drives me crazy at times just like any normal husband).

An assignment that would normally take me thirty minutes, now takes me two hours to complete. I barely finish my assignments on time right now, and they are not to the standards that I have held myself to; this drives me crazy.  For all these reasons, I am anxious to finish and see how I will do.

I am worried because I am afraid of what I am going to do once I am done with my degree. I'm not going to start a career; I made that decision a long time ago. I have been fortunate enough that my husband that can provide for us so that I can stay at home to be a Mom. However, I don't feel like I have any hobbies or skills that I can use being at home, and that makes me worried. What am I going to do with myself with my extra time? I know that is something so dumb to be worried about, but seriously, I am. My whole life my spare time was filled with sports, and I can't do that all the time now. I have never been crafty, but I have the desire to be; but I don't know where to start.

I've started to think that maybe I should just go for a Masters. But I've decided that no, I should try to develop myself in other ways.

So, overall, I am doing great. But I feel like I have all the drive and vision that I would ever need in some areas of my life, and that I am completely blind in others. I am feeling bittersweet about these changes; but overall excited. I know that I'll figure it out. I know that I will love 'just' being a mom. I know that I will enjoy being at home and not having to plaster my face to a screen for hours a day. I know all these things confidently.

Sometimes I see my life as scaling a mountain. Once I get to the top, I have always had higher one behind it to tackle. This time I am almost to the summit, but I don't see another peak to scale- at least not yet. So, for now, I focus on pushing through to the end.

 Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet post Maren. You are such a sweetheart, and I'm so glad you married Kyle so we're family! Congratulations on finishing school!

    I understand where you're coming from on this one. When I took Colton in to work, I would be there for 9-10 hours, but only be able to record 6.5 - 7 as billable because everything just takes so much longer with a baby. And our house is still constantly a mess; I laughed when I read the part of your comment that said to let my house go, because if it gets any worse people in hazmat suits are going to have to come de-contaminate it...

    I remember feeling the way you are now when I graduated college, and I even knew that I would be working full-time and where. It's a little disconcerting, I know. Try out new things with Hayden and see what fits. And I know another Maren that can definitely help if you're looking to be crafty! I think you'll figure things out pretty quickly though. You're a great mom, and things will come together for you in this next phase, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand. My suggestion...don't go back to school unless you need to. Your little baby boy needs his mommy home with him. But find a hobby...just try some things out...go on pinterest...find some crafts to try to decorate you home with...learn to sew...get a camera and start taking pictures...just try a few things and you might be surprised at how many hobbies you end up enjoying! Love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete